Careers At New Focus Academy
New Focus Academy is a leading provider of adolescent residential therapeutic treatment for those struggling with developmental delays. New Focus uses an evidence-based, integrative approach in addressing all of our students’ unique needs and abilities.
Our highly qualified, professional team specializes in helping young men launch into adulthood and gain autonomy. The Team at New Focus has a passion for creating quality. We invite you read more about our approach and open positions below.
Clinical Therapist – Assistant Clinical Director
New Focus Academy is pleased to be taking applications for a Clinical Therapist (CT) with possibilities of advancement to Assistant Clinical Director.
New Focus Academy works with students 12 to 18 who are on the Autism Spectrum, or who have similar social and functional struggles, where there is concern about what level of independence is possible. Clinical Therapists will conduct individual, group and family therapy with Students assigned to their personal caseload. Due to the population, therapists need to utilize briefer more frequent interventions with a coaching style approach. Caseloads will be between 7 to 8 students. Additional pay will be offered for taking more than 8 students, but taking additional students will not be required.
The job will involve evaluating and understanding the clinical dynamics and functional challenges for each student and creating required treatment plans with goals to assist students to progress to their highest potential. This will require documentation, treatment team meetings, ongoing discussions with coaching and academics, and good communication to parents and other interrelated professionals involved in the case (i.e., quality case management interrelated with ongoing treatment). Further, discharge planning and aftercare development on cases assigned is a crucial part of our student population. Clinical Therapists will document treatment interventions and results as part of a medical record on a timely basis, and assist with the appropriate and ongoing training of direct care team members working with the students under their care.
The job will require participation in interdisciplinary case conference meetings and coordinating ongoing treatment with assigned teams. The Clinical Therapist will attend to student/resident, families, and referral source concerns as well as providing timely reports on treatment obstacles and progress. The Clinical Therapist is considered an important part of the overall treatment team and will assist the Director of Clinical and Residential Services in the development, implementation and ongoing growth of the New Focus Academy program.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy or related field.
- Must be licensed by the State of Utah as an LCSW, LMFT, CMHC, or LPC or licensed as certified professional working toward licensure as any of the before mentioned.
Training and Experience:
- Minimum of two (2) years experience inpatient, outpatient, and/or mental health care in the area of child and/or adolescent treatment along with a thorough knowledge of emotionally disturbed children and adolescents;
- Strong clinical skills in intervention techniques of individual, group and family therapy in working with patients and their families. A working knowledge of educational, psychological, family and social work systems as related to special education and behavior treatment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have at least intermediate level computer and computer program related skills.
- Be able to obtain a current certificate for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid.
Ongoing Knowledge Required:
- Must have a thorough knowledge of fundamentals of the New Focus Academy organization and administration, standards, and regulations of the facility, and laws applicable to mental health treatment.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of the New Focus Academy and be skilled in the implementation and clinical applications of all components.
- Will fulfill all in-service training required by the Clinical Director every year, both within the program and going to training programs abroad within reason.
Join the team, contact us today.