Encouraging Practical Skill-Building: Programs Helping Tennessee Teens With Autism
Many parents of children and teens with an autism spectrum disorder express concern for their child’s independence. If you are one of those parents, you may be wondering whether they will ever celebrate life milestones like getting a job or living away from home. New Focus Academy is a residential program for teens with autism designed to address these concerns among teens. By immersing our students in an engaging environment away from the frustrations of home, we help teens from Tennessee gain a fresh perspective.
Our program is located in Utah, and we help teens from all over the country including Tennessee.
Research has shown that these students’ emotional struggles are connected to the difficulty they experience performing executive tasks. A lack of opportunities for learning and practicing new skills can hamper their ability to regulate their emotions. As they develop these executive functions, our students gain confidence that can be applied to any area of life.
At New Focus Academy, we use a wide variety of skill-building exercises to refine resident’s executive skills. Depending on their age and maturity level, our residents:
- Create and complete detailed daily to-do lists
- Shop for food, manage payments, and cook their own meals
- Find a part-time job and earn their own paycheck
Our trained staff also uses a Positive Behavior Support system to help students identify their highest ambitions and goals. Then we investigate the assistance they will need to reach those goals and any potential barriers that might make it difficult to succeed. We build a flexible, step-by-step plan to support the student, and provide the resources they need.
To find out more about the autism program at New Focus Academy, please contact us at (844) 313-6749.
Comprehensive Clinical Model at Autism Program Supports Tennessee Teens With Autism
Does your child have difficulty expressing their emotions respectfully or making meaningful connections with others? Have they started to doubt their own self-worth or wonder whether they will ever succeed in life? If so, they may benefit from professional support. New Focus Academy is a fully-integrated autism program for teen students with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder, learning deficits, and other limitations that make it difficult to organize their own lives. By providing a haven away from challenging situations at home, we help Tennessee students gain new confidence and develop the skills they need to live independently.
Our program is located in the beautiful state of Utah. Families come to us from all over the country, including Tennessee, seeking help for their child.
Many children and teens with cognitive and emotional limitations find simple, everyday tasks challenging. Some struggle to communicate effectively, some find it impossible to focus, and some simply need more time to complete basic activities than their peers. Repeated failure often leads to anxiety and frustration, which makes these tasks even more difficult. Help or advice from others, even with good intentions, can reinforce the belief that they will never be able to make progress on their own.
Breaking this cycle of perceived failure is essential. At New Focus Academy, we use the innovative P.I.E.C.E.S model. Here are the key elements of this approach:
- Positive Reinforcement: Our structured, comfortable environment helps students to build resilient prosocial skills and
- Independence: Through goal-oriented training programs, we teach our students general capabilities that can be adapted and applied to many different situations.
- Executive Functioning: Through fun, hands-on activities, we teach students how to pay attention, remember important details, and capably analyze common situations so that they are prepared to face them in the real world.
- Coping Skills: Since many students have struggled with challenging life circumstances, we teach effective coping strategies for dealing with failures and disappointments.
- Emotional Regulation: We guide students through the process of identifying, balancing, and appropriately expressing their thoughts and feelings.
- Social Fluency: Rather than just teaching students about proper social behavior, we give them long-term opportunities to practice the concepts they have learned
If you’d like to learn more about New Focus Academy’s comprehensive autism program and discover its benefits for your child, please contact our team today at (844) 313-6749.
New Focus Academy helps Tennessee teens struggling with challenges like:
– Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
– Mood Disorders
– Academic Difficulties
– Low Working Memory
– Sensory Issues
– Low Processing Speed
– Developmental Immaturity
– Traumatic Brain Injuries
– Nonverbal Learning Disorder
– Academic Failure
– Social Pragmatic Communication Disorders
– Social Difficulties
Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Association:Founded as a support for self-advocacy, this organization provides a variety of services to individuals, parents, and caretakers. It offers one-on-one consultation sessions over the phone, holds monthly support meetings for everyone from young children to independent adults, and hosts a wide-ranging forum for anyone to discuss relevant issues and share helpful information.
Middletown Centre For Autism Sensory Processing Resource:Designed for teachers but useful for parents and other family members, these evidence-based activities can help individuals with processing disorders learn to regulate and manage input from their senses. With activities based around seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, smelling, and moving, you are sure to find something to stimulate.
New Focus Academy helps families from Tennessee and all over the country
New Focus Academy helps Tennessee families from cities and towns like: Belle Meade Forest Hills Oak Hill Brentwood Lookout Mountain Arrington Franklin College Grove Walden Nolensville