Programs For Teens with Autism Helping Connecticut Families
Have you noticed troubling behaviors or destructive social habits preventing your child from living a carefree, happy life? New Focus Academy is a nurturing environment for Connecticut teens with a wide range of cognitive limitations, from autism spectrum disorders and learning deficits to attention disorders. We provide homelike care away from the stresses and struggles of home.
Located in Utah, we help families from all over the United State including Connecticut. Sending your child to a program away from home can feel scary. However, time away from home can be beneficial to teens on the spectrum. Learning to function and socialize with peers in a new environment helps teens experience personal growth and learning.
All these limitations can have effects beyond their initial symptoms, and many of our students also struggle with these complicating conditions. Here are just a few:
- They may experience anxiety or panic attacks when dealing with social situations in which they are uncomfortable
- They may develop patterns of self-harm, such as cutting or substance misuse, to cope with intrusive thoughts or feelings
- They may overindulge in food to distract from their insecurities and anxieties
- They may develop low self-esteem or self-confidence
- They may withdraw from the school activities and friend groups that they used to enjoy, citing peer rejection or conflict as the reason
- They may develop an overdependence on video games or spend most of their time on the Internet to avoid distressing social situations
If any one of these situations sounds familiar, it may be time to look for full-time professional help. Many of these habits and behaviors develop because our students have not received the support and guidance that they need to thrive. All New Focus Academy coaches, academic supervisors, and team leaders offer this support in our unique autism program.
To learn more, get in touch with us today at (844) 313-6749.
Comprehensive Clinical Model at Autism Program Supports Connecticut Teens With Autism
Does your child have difficulty expressing their emotions respectfully or making meaningful connections with others? Have they started to doubt their own self-worth or wonder whether they will ever succeed in life? If so, they may benefit from professional support. New Focus Academy is a fully-integrated autism program for teen students with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder, learning deficits, and other limitations that make it difficult to organize their own lives. By providing a haven away from challenging situations at home, we help Connecticut students gain new confidence and develop the skills they need to live independently.
Our program is located in the beautiful state of Utah. Families come to us from all over the country, including Connecticut, seeking help for their child.
Many children and teens with cognitive and emotional limitations find simple, everyday tasks challenging. Some struggle to communicate effectively, some find it impossible to focus, and some simply need more time to complete basic activities than their peers. Repeated failure often leads to anxiety and frustration, which makes these tasks even more difficult. Help or advice from others, even with good intentions, can reinforce the belief that they will never be able to make progress on their own.
Breaking this cycle of perceived failure is essential. At New Focus Academy, we use the innovative P.I.E.C.E.S model. Here are the key elements of this approach:
- Positive Reinforcement: Our structured, comfortable environment helps students to build resilient prosocial skills and
- Independence: Through goal-oriented training programs, we teach our students general capabilities that can be adapted and applied to many different situations.
- Executive Functioning: Through fun, hands-on activities, we teach students how to pay attention, remember important details, and capably analyze common situations so that they are prepared to face them in the real world.
- Coping Skills: Since many students have struggled with challenging life circumstances, we teach effective coping strategies for dealing with failures and disappointments.
- Emotional Regulation: We guide students through the process of identifying, balancing, and appropriately expressing their thoughts and feelings.
- Social Fluency: Rather than just teaching students about proper social behavior, we give them long-term opportunities to practice the concepts they have learned
If you’d like to learn more about New Focus Academy’s comprehensive autism program and discover its benefits for your child, please contact our team today at (844) 313-6749.
New Focus Academy helps Connecticut teens struggling with challenges like:
– Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
– Mood Disorders
– Social Difficulties
– Developmental Immaturity
– Traumatic Brain Injuries
– Academic Difficulties
– Sensory Issues
– Low Processing Speed
– Nonverbal Learning Disorder
– Social Pragmatic Communication Disorders
– Academic Failure
– Low Working Memory
Autism Society:One of the nation’s leading autism advocacy organizations, the Autism Society provides a comprehensive range of resources for the parents of children with autism spectrum disorders. From symptom guides and lists of autism-friendly activities to legal resources and opportunities to get involved in a local community, their website is full of helpful research and advocacy guides.
Asperger Syndrome and High Functioning Autism Association:Founded as a support for self-advocacy, this organization provides a variety of services to individuals, parents, and caretakers. It offers one-on-one consultation sessions over the phone, holds monthly support meetings for everyone from young children to independent adults, and hosts a wide-ranging forum for anyone to discuss relevant issues and share helpful information.
New Focus Academy helps families from Connecticut and all over the country
New Focus Academy helps Connecticut families from cities and towns like: Darien New Canaan Greenwich Westport Weston Wilton Groton Long Point Town of Ridgefield Washington Roxbury