Maine Students Learn Independence at Autism Boarding Schools
With nearly 1 in 60 children in the United States affected by autism, it is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders. Children with this disorder have a variety of symptoms that challenge their ability to live independently. Sometimes even a small change in their regular routine can cause extreme reactions, including tantrums and meltdowns. It can also be harder for them to connect with others, develop relationships, and perform basic living tasks. Autism can cause children to hyperfocus on activities that they find interesting or soothing, though this can have an adverse effect when they inadvertently forget to complete daily living tasks. This diverse range of issues illustrate why autism boarding schools are an ideal option for teens from Maine.
Maine children that struggle with autism can get the help they need through autism boarding schools. With these immersive programs, students can find the support they need to succeed.
New Focus Academy helps students with autism gain autonomy and is one of the top autism boarding schools. With a blended focus on school, extracurricular and leisure activities, and social skills work, New Focus Academy helps students achieve lasting change. Skilled coaches and therapists provide in-the-moment feedback and encouragement to guide students toward their specific treatment goals. Their clinically sophisticated approaches are backed by evidence-based scientific practices.
What Makes Our Autism Boarding School For Maine Teens Unique?
At New Focus, your Maine teen is treated as an individual. After identifying his or her unique strengths and areas of growth, your teen will have a master treatment plan developed that is completely tailored to them. Using this plan, your teen will begin their journey to increased autonomy and independence.
If conventional educational approaches haven’t been effective for your son or daughter, New Focus Academy might be the answer. With a holistic and whole-person approach to growth, New Focus Academy works with teens ages 13-17 to increase self-esteem and independence. Please call us at (844) 313-6749 to learn more about this innovative autism boarding school and the admission process.
Maine Parents Discover the Benefits of Autism Boarding Schools
It can be challenging for parents to consider autism boarding schools for their child with autism. Parents want the best for their children, but sending them away to a new environment can be a concern, especially when a child struggles with autism. Parents wonder if their child from Maine will be safe, happy, and accepted. Parents also want to know that their child’s behaviors will be addressed therapeutically.
Even though this is a difficult decision, many Maine parents realize that autism boarding schools are the most appropriate option for their child on the spectrum. Not only will they provide extra assistance when other treatment options have failed, they have expert staff specifically trained in the unique needs of children with autism spectrum disorder and other neurodevelopmental issues.
Our Autism Boarding School’s Evidence-Based Approach
New Focus Academy is one of the top autism boarding schools that helps teenagers ages 13-17 that are struggling with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders. Their clinically sophisticated approach offers students these benefits:
– Small classroom sizes for students to complete high school in an accommodating environment, along with vocational opportunities to help ready them to work after high school.
– Intensive social skills training to help students become more connected with staff, family, peers, and individuals in the community.
– Developing essential life skills helps students to become more autonomous across all areas of their lives (examples include budgeting, meal preparation, and using public transportation).
– Participation in adventure therapy and team building activities to increase positive communication, collaboration, decision making, and problem-solving skills.
– Opportunities for real-world practice of the skills and lessons they are learning in group, therapy, and school.
– Growth of self-confidence, self-esteem, and resilience through achievable yet challenging goal completion.
Our Program Can Help Your Child
New Focus Academy offers a safe, accepting environment supervised by expertly trained staff. Your child will be able to move toward a more independent and full life through research-based approaches and positive reinforcement. Please call New Focus Academy today at (844) 313-6749 to learn more about this autism boarding school and hear how they can help your child from Maine.
- Parent Involvement in Autism TreatmentWhen your child is having problems with communication and reciprocal social interaction, it can be frustrating for parents to know how to best support them. As one of the primary treatment goals for teens with autism is developing self-efficacy and independence, it is important for parents to stay involved in... Read more »
- Teaching Mindfulness to Neurodiverse KidsOur brains are evolutionarily wired to respond to distractions. As our world has become full of distractions, teens with autism often struggle to filter out irrelevant information and become easily overstimulated. They’re either caught up in the future or the past and constantly jumping between the two and struggle to... Read more »
- Should We Use The Term “High Functioning” to Describe Levels of the Autism Spectrum?In recent years, the diagnosis referring to High Functioning Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, was removed from the Diagnostic Statistical Manual in favor of Autism Spectrum Disorder. As a spectrum disorder, it reinforces that the disorder is diagnosed based on problems in the same foundational areas, with a diverse range of abilities.... Read more »