Iowa Students Learn Independence at Autism Boarding Schools
As one of the fasting growing developmental disorders, autism touches the lives of almost 1 in 60 children in the United States. Many children with autism have different presentations of the disorder, though it is very common for it to affect their ability to live independently. One of the more common symptoms is that children with autism are easily upset when their routine is changed. Forming relationships can stressful and difficult, as can daily living skills. Autism can cause children to hyperfocus on activities that they find interesting or soothing, though this can have an adverse effect when they inadvertently forget to complete daily living tasks. All of these issues are perfect examples of why autism boarding schools are essential for children from Iowa.
For children from Iowa, autism boarding schools help them gain the skills they need to lead fulfilling and well-balanced lives. These intensive programs immerse students in an environment to grow and thrive.
New Focus Academy is one of the leading autism boarding schools holistically teaching students how to live independently. With a blended focus on school, extracurricular and leisure activities, and social skills work, New Focus Academy helps students achieve lasting change. Experienced therapists and coaches provide guidance and positive feedback to help students reach their specific goals. Their clinically sophisticated approaches are backed by evidence-based scientific practices.
What Makes Our Autism Boarding School For Iowa Teens Unique?
Your teen from Iowa is seen as an individual at New Focus Academy. His or her specific strengths and needs are assessed and developed into an individualized treatment plan. This plan guides your teen’s growth toward increased independence and autonomy.
If more traditional schooling approaches have not worked for your son or daughter, New Focus Academy can help. From learning life skills, positive social interactions, and preparing to join the workforce, New Focus Academy teaches teens ages 13-17 to become more independent. Please call us at (844) 313-6749 to learn more about this innovative autism boarding school and the admission process.
Iowa Parents Discover the Benefits of Autism Boarding Schools
Autism boarding schools present a difficult – yet rewarding – decision for many parents. Parents always want to do what is best for their children – but for a child on the spectrum, going to a new place can be challenging and stressful. They wonder if their Iowa teen will feel accepted and safe. Parents also want to make sure that this type of treatment will be beneficial in addressing their child’s problematic behaviors.
Though the decision is difficult, Iowa parents may find autism boarding schools to be the best option. With more support than any other treatment option, autism boarding schools have experienced staff that understands the specific needs of this developmental disorder.
Our Autism Boarding School’s Evidence-Based Approach
New Focus Academy is one of the top autism boarding schools that helps teenagers ages 13-17 that are struggling with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental disorders. Their evidence-based approaches provide students with the following opportunities for growth:
– Small classroom sizes for students to complete high school in an accommodating environment, along with vocational opportunities to help ready them to work after high school.
– Thorough social skills training helps students connect with those around them, including peers, staff, and family members.
– Life skill development to make students more independent in a variety of areas in their lives including personal hygiene, nutrition and meal preparation, fitness, personal safety, and using transportation.
– Learning how to cooperate in a team setting and adventure therapy helps teens on the spectrum improve communication skills.
– Real-life learning situations to help students apply the lessons learned in the classroom and therapy sessions.
– Intentional opportunities to build self-esteem, self-efficacy, and self-confidence by achieving appropriately challenging goals.
Our Program Can Help Your Child
New Focus Academy offers a welcoming and safe environment that is supported by skilled and dedicated staff. Your child will receive immediate feedback, positive reinforcement, and evidence-based approaches to motivate him or her to live an independent life. Call (844) 313-6749 to learn about New Focus Academy and how this autism boarding school can help your Iowa teen.
- Should We Use The Term “High Functioning” to Describe Levels of the Autism Spectrum?In recent years, the diagnosis referring to High Functioning Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, was removed from the Diagnostic Statistical Manual in favor of Autism Spectrum Disorder. As a spectrum disorder, it reinforces that the disorder is diagnosed based on problems in the same foundational areas, with a diverse range of abilities.... Read more »
- Movies Used to Teach Teens with Autism Emotional IntelligenceWhile many teens watch movies mindlessly, they are unconsciously picking up on social cues and learning how to relate to characters. Many teens find that lessons characters learn on the big screen can translate to their own lives. Using movie time to teach social thinking is not necessarily a new... Read more »
- Identity Issues After Traumatic Brain InjuryBeyond the initial impact, sometimes the effects of a Traumatic Brain Injury are not obvious at first but become more noticeable later when critical thinking and social interaction increases at school. While teens who have experienced a Traumatic Brain Injury are eager to return to school, they often struggle more... Read more »